Gift guide on November 12th? Why not. I tend to find myself in the situation around the holidays where I’m buying gifts at the last minute. This year I thought I’d start early so I can buy more of “the perfect gift” for someone, rather than buying something just to buy it.
1. I like you by Amy Sedaris. It’s a hilarious coffee table book (picture: Amy Sedaris wearing pantyhose and covered in sprinkles), but also has some legit recipes. (The meatball recipe is insane.)
2. Erasable pens. I swear to you, these have changed my professional life. No. More. Whiteout. I use them at work to take notes, sketch, write things in my calendar, etc. They are nothing like those lame “erasable pens” from the 90′s that actually just rubbed the ink further into the paper. (The commercial would have you thinking otherwise though.)
4. A sewing machine! Get your special lady friend a sewing machine! (A great follow up gift would be some sewing lessons if she’s a beginner.) This one happens to be an inexpensive Brother sewing machine, but I would recommend Singer or Pfaff as well. If you’re a beginner, you don’t need to spend more than $200 – and make sure to pay attention to the reviews.
5. A cute umbrella. You never know when you’re going to need one, especially in Seattle, so you may as well cover yourself head in style.
6. Hunter rain boots. I actually own this pair and love them. They’re water proof, but have a retro vibe that strangers literally stop to ask me about.
7. Emergency car kit. I think everyone should have one of these in their car. You just never know, you know?
8. A magazine subscription. Other than Vogue and Lucky, I get the most excited when Real Simple arrives. Decorating ideas, recipes and pretty pictures. How can you go wrong?
9. Every woman should own a pair of cashmere socks, but few would buy them for herself.