For this order of burp cloths, the direction I was given about the parents-to-be was that “the Dad loves to fish, the mom is very girly”. I wandered around the fabric store for a bit, dug around in my bins of fabric, and decided to combine the themes to make some retro floral fishing burp cloths. It totally works, right?
I was perusing the sale section at Nordstrom the other day and found myself wishing the white parts of these sandals was a different color. Since I didn’t see anything else I liked, I decided I would just buy them and try to dye them at home.
Friends of ours had a baby girl last week, so I bought her the cutest little polka dot outfit from Nordstrom and made burp cloths to match.
The front of the burp cloths are actually made from a vintage blanket and the back of them are cotton terry cloth – all 100% cotton. So the new parents can machine wash and machine dry them. Yes, that’s right. They’re vintage and durable.
Now that my sewing machine is set up in the new house, I was able to dust it off and make a few baby gifts over the weekend. These are a sweet pair of newborn-size shoes with roosters on them. Just the cutest.
Fun fact: The fabric was left over from a pair of pajama pants I made my brother a couple of years ago.
When we moved into our house the back bedroom was probably the ugliest room I’d ever seen. It was completely functional, but was really just too hideous to even step foot in. Visual:
When we moved into our house, the master bedroom had an empty closet – no shelves, no rods, nothing. We lived like that for a couple of weeks trying to figure out what to do. We thought about getting some sort of closet system from Ikea (but that means spending money), we thought about hiring someone to make a closet for us (but that means spending lots of money). And then one day I decided I didn’t really care what it looked like, I just knew I wanted to hang my stuff up. So I took some measurements, went to Lowe’s, and built a closet.* It’s not glamorous, but it sure gets the job done. The materials:
1. White shelves (2)
2. Rods (2 – I sawed one in half to make a total of 3)
3. Rod brackets (I needed 7)
4. Rod end-caps (to class it up a little, you know.)
5. Stud finder
9. Dresser (on the left in the photos – donation from an aunt & uncle)
10. Shelf (on the right in the photos – Goodwill purchase)